Sunday, September 12, 2010

The City and Such



Friday, September 3, 2010

No school fridays- how I appreciate you!

Today I slept in and then got a drop off at the train station to go into the city to see Parliament. I decided to take the train to Southern Cross station and then tram over to Parliament so that I would see some of the city. It took me a bit to find the right tram stop (thanks to some strangers I did) but then the ride was good and some a part I hadnt seen yet.

Outside of Parliament there is a garden

Left: Pastor Sir Douglas and Lady Gladys Nicholls Memorial- This is the first memorial statue in Melbourne dedicated to two Aboriginal community leaders. They vigorously fought for the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander Peoples across this country and are an eternal symbol of our ongoing history and commitment to human rights in Australia (according to plaque). Right: the garden itself.
Center: Princes Theater. From what I have heard they have plays there. right now i think it is hairspray.

I got to Parliament and they told me that the tour wouldnt be on until 230. I had to busy myself for an half an hour. I went next door to the garden to sit until my time was up.
Left: Adam Linsday Gordon 1833- 1870
He fought for the army and wrote his own work. It wasnt published. He then died of suicide. Im not exactly sure why he deserves a monument.

Outside there were army guys who were collecting money for some fund. I sat and talked to them, well actually it was the other way around. I would like to point out their uniform and how different it looks. The pattern is more like our old one where as now our pattern is computerized. The hat is crazy intense. Otherwise its very much the same. I had to leave him and another guy to go to the tour at 230.


This is the outside of parliament building.













Inside the main entrance is a beautiful seal.
The tour took us into the green room.




I got to sit at the head chair!










Dont I look great. lol.
Here is an image of the outfit the head is supposed to wear along with the mace:












We then went into the library which is closed to the public.




And then we entered the red room. However a bill was going through and the room was in action so I couldnt take any photos.

In the hall they had Queen Victoria statue and paintings of the heads of Victoria Parliament.





This is the only woman VIC Parliament Leader who was a woman and Prime minister of Vic the year I was born, 1990.
The tour was then done and after talking with the tour guide I went on my way. The view from the steps of Parliament was cool of the city road of Bourke St.

I then had some time before catching the train home but not enough to go do something else to I went to the coffee shop next to the Melbourne Library I had gone too with Larissa. Of course what did i get but an Iced Choc. duhhh.

After the wonderful bit of heaven I jumped on the Flinders St train to get home for the fish fry on friday.

For the fry Kevin couldnt join us. Instead one of their friends (i believe her name was Gail?) joined us. Delicious as always. After dinner I quickly got ready so as to go out to a concert with Bec and Micheal in the city. The concert was off of Swanston St. We got something to drink (2 cranberry and vodkas for me) and waited through some bad bands to our awaited band at 10pm. It didnt get good until Becs friends boyfriend (blanking on the name) band went on. They had a sound similar to that of the strokes and were much appreciated after the noise chaos we had just heard. After their turn we left the concert and headed home. We got back around 12pm and sat around until 1 watching tv before turning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment