Friday, September 10, 2010

Every Class should be in a Bar

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Um today was kinda cool and very different.

10-12 psychology
215-315 politics
415-515 politics tute

Psychology:
Today we had some new guy (Dan) come and talk to us about Concepts and Categories... oooh ahhh. not really. Kinda interesting seeing as how he incorporated aliens and had lots of fun examples but really if you have that for me in any subject i will be entertained.

In between classes (12-2) I met up with Chloe for the first time on campus. Her and some friends meet up at one of the cafes on campus next to the building i have my indigenous studies tute in. (ive gone there for an iced choc once and it didnt stand up against its opponent mocha joes what-so-ever. Ive kinda lost faith in my campuses ability to impress me with a iced choc. a few more tries around and we will see). I brought my lunch but her and her friend Juliana got some food which looked pretty good. We chatted for a bit and then I attempted to complete some of my genetics study guide. A bit before 2 i left them to grab on to a computer and check my fb. my friend larissa said she would fb me with plans for thursday evening. I had suggested that we go see something for Melbournes Spring Fashion Show Week that was going on this week but she didnt seem to excited. Checking fb she hadnt left me a message so I gave her a call only to be told that she didnt know yet so i went to class.

Politics Lecture:
I must say nuclear warfare, weapons, terrorism etc sure does scare me. Not in the sense that im going to go build a bomb shelter for myself (because seriously what good will that do unless i am first warned that the bomb will go off and secondly am still in melbourne when it happens). More like, excuse me but WHY ON GODS GOOD EARTH ARE WE BEING SO STUPID ABOUT IT. I really cant believe that at one point a guy was flying around in a plane with multiple nuclear bombs and no one knew. REALLY, i mean REALLY ( feel like that SNL short: in case you dont know what im talking about- Really, Micheal Phelps; Really, NYC Bomber) ok rant and SNL over, I think you can get my point.

During the lecture I got a phone call from Larissa so I called her back once I got out of class. She was wispering and I couldnt really understand her. She said she was in the union library so I told her i would meet her there so I could understand what was going on. Once i found the library in the union building, after some help from random strangers, I found her in this room with sleeping bodies. She was in one of many bean bag chairs (which explains the sleeping people). Apparently she had juggling club till 630 and was going to eat at her place and then meet up with ppl on some street at 830 to figure out what everyone wanted to do. Well this was too late for me because it took an hour to get back from the metro and I hate keeping Peter and Anita up so that they can grab me from the train station. I told her I would pass and walked to the library to see if I could find an alternate activity. My friend Ronja was looking for someone to join her at the showing of some anime movie (for free). I figured that person could be me. However when I looked into it she had gotten the date wrong and it was actually playing next week. Fail. So I decided I would look around some of the shops for Fashion Week.

Politics Tute:
This weeks tute, get this, was in a bar. YES, how amazing. can you figure out why i want to stay in this tute as opposed to the one i had been showing up too?? Jack the tute guy bought us a round of beer (which i actually drank, despite my detest for beer, probably because it was such a good story) and we just sat around and chatted about whatever. The people I got in a discussion with talked about what its like to live internationally and traveling. We really had a good time and it was nice to get to know some people. People started to leave at around 515 when it was over but we stayed and jack joined our conversation. at about 6 we left.

I had asked one of the girls I was talking to from politics tute if she wanted to join my adventure that night in the city. She had to go home and pack for a trip she was taking the next day to alice springs so i didnt get any company although I would have liked it.

I rode the tram down to melbourne central and got off. I wanted to walk my way down the street so that I could go in shops if I wanted. I was on the search for some post cards as well, looking for the best deal. On my way I found some cool wall art and statues of men.














At the third souvenir shop I found some good postcards. I got ten for 3 dollars (it will be heaps more in postage!) but here are three:

I tried finding the shop where they had the Fashion event at (free champaigne and a fashion show of the 2010 spring collection) but I never found it. Instead I lost myself (not really lost) in the streets, arcades and allies that are so much a part of melbourne. I looked at some shops but I wasnt really looking to buy. Retail here is much more than you would pay for in the states. Yes maybe I was looking at more expensive shops but I have yet to find a place similar to something like wet seal that I can buy things for 20$ max. Ok, maybe im just cheap.

At around 7pm the shops started to close and I was hungry so I found a Japanese food place called Gigi Sushi Bar and got a hot meal for about 9$. I cant do sushi (even though it is soo cheap and fresh here) but I looked at the menu outside and found something that I liked. I cant remember what it was called bc the name was so foreign to me but it was a great rice dish with chicken and veggies with a soup broth on the side. Go figure, I was in the mood for rice?? I am a changing woman.

After dinner I got on the train home. It would have been nice to have company but its not going to stop me from exploring.

No comments:

Post a Comment