Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day of Orientation

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Today was orientation day at uni of melb. Bec said she would bring me on the train so that she could show me how it worked and all before I had to make the trek without her. We left sometime in the morning and went to Clayton (were micheal lives) to park the car for free at his house. We said g'day to his mum real fast and then walked a block to the train. We got to the train and had to get train cards (called metcards). It was about 8.80$ to get an all day pass, non concession for zone 1 only. Typically a metcard for zone 1&2 (which is the zone the Davines live in and the city) non concession, all day pass is 10.60$ --- this is mad expensive if your making the trip everyday for uni. A 2 hour pass is the other option to all day but its only 2 hours, and usually half the price. After getting the pass you validate it by sticking it in a machine where is then spits it back out at you. Unlike DC, the train card is something you get per day, is paper, and in my opinion more expensive.
We got on a packed train and stood for 40 minutes as it took us to the city. We then got off at Melbourne Central. Cloe told us we could exit anywhere and get to the right tram but well she lied. We got off and went in the wrong direction. Bec doesnt go to melb uni so she didnt know the route exactly. But we figured it out after some walking and hopped on the tram towards the uni. We got off at the right place and used my map to find our way to the Copland Theatre, Economics and Commerce Building.
This is my new campus- god its big.
At 9:45 we had an International Student Briefing- "Here you will be welcomed and receive essential information about Australian culture, visas, safety and support services." After this presentation I was supposed to attend a faculty info sesh according to which school i belonged to. I didnt know which school I belonged too, so you were supposed to use your student id number to see on a sheet. I didnt know my student id number either so I had to go talk to them. I was placed not in the Science school but in the school of Arts..? I am only taking one science class and the others are arts I guess. Bec and I got a coffee and then headed over for the 11:30-12:30 sesh. On our way to the Old Arts Building Bec and I decided to join MUSEX- Melbourne University Study Exchange. They told me about a party they were having tonight and we figured we'd go. Bec decided once we got to the next sesh that she was going to peace out and go shopping and then pick me up when I was done. The sesh was useless but I was able to meet some people as we waited.
Lunch was then next at 1pm. It consisted of a sandwich, fruit and juice. YUM (NOT). it was ok. We then had some time before an optional session at 2pm so we went to go pick up our OHSC health care card and see about our school id's. At 2 we attended "Melbourne and Beyond:A Students Guide" which talked about living in melbourne and some places to go. The program was over at 3 but I had to sort out school stuff in the library for a while. I decided that I could just meet Bec at the party and stay on campus until then but she found something to do with Cloe so she wasnt going to come out until I needed a pick up. We stayed in the library sorting everything out until about 5. Zoe, Caroline (a girl we just met from germany) and I decided to go on a hunt for a cheep restaurant. After a bit of walking, and passing many a place we finally found a Japanese place and sat down. I got a wonderful dish of rice, chicken and egg for 10$- it warmed me up and I gave the leftover rice to Zoe to eat. We walked back to the Village (where they both live) and passed by a homeless person who Zoe gave the rice too. We also picked up a 2 wine bottles for predrinks before going out (20$ total). We got back to the Village and broke open the wine with Ekaterina (someone we met that day from russa). This is the one I really liked- a moscato.
We drank and laughed and then walked over to the Turf next door. We got in and mingled for a while and then I grabbed a Vodka Cranberry. We chatted and met new people until about 10:30 when I got a call from Bec that she was 5 min away. I grabbed my stuff from Zoe's room and waited outside. 30 min later Bec showed up. I dont know what took her so long. I jumped in the car and we went to drop Cloe off before heading "home". I then hit the sack.

No comments:

Post a Comment