Thursday, August 12, 2010

Unprepared

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Got up, got out, got to school. Today was my "genetics day" -class only is about genetics on wednesday. At 10am to 1pm I had a Genetics practical. (The difference between a prac and a tute is that a tute is like one on one time with a Student Assistant and 15 other kids while a prac is when you do experiments). I got to the prac in the Redmond Barry 210. The whole class (about 50-75 kids) waited in the hallway until they opened the lab doors. We were told our student number was on a sheet of paper which contained our seat assignments. I looked for mine twice and didnt see it. I entered the room and told the woman scanning everyones ID's that I didnt have a seat. She directed me to someone else. I was told to wait and get dressed while I waited for them to find me a seat. Get dressed?? I was already dressed. They told me that I should be wearing a lab coat. Nobody told me this. I asked if I could borrow one and they said they could lend me one. Did I have a lab manual? No. I could borrow that too as long as I didnt write in it. They found me a seat and I sat down. I felt so unprepared.


In the lab we did 4 or 5 experiments. It was kinda a pain because we had to keep switching from one experiment back to another. Part of the 3rd experiment required a calculator so I let someone else who had one do the math. We finished with the experiments and then we had to take a test. The test wouldnt have been bad if i had A. paid attention when we were doing the calculations and B. actually had a calculator. I havent gotten it back yet but im pretty sure that its not a pretty grade.


The lab finished at 1 so I at lunch and went to the library till 3:15 when I had genetics lecture. The lecture was fine but I still cant shake the fact that I feel like I dont know what im doing. The school is so big and I feel like just another number, honestly. Even though I went to the genetics prof before the prac asking if I missed anything by being sick she never told me ohh and fyi bring a lab coat, book and calc. The fact that I have minimal friends in my classes doesnt help. Its not like I can call up Elena and be like ohh so what did I miss, or what do I need to bring to lab. I really get far when I know what Im doing, and I like being in control. The fact that I really dont know what im doing, or if what im doing is even correct is driving me crazy.

Anyway, I finished my day at uni and came home. I told my story at dinner and they assured me that I would figure things out soon... I hope so. Anita said she would check at her school to see if there were any extra lab coats I could borrow so that I didnt have to buy one. That was nice. After dinner we sat down for 2 hours and watched the show "The Farmer Wants A Wife". Its about Australian farmers who live far away from civilization ( like 8 hours) and want a wife, or one girl farmer wants a husband. its all very interesting. lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment