Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Melbourne City Tour

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Got out of the house to get to the Flinders St train station where I was supposed to meet the RD,Kerian, for melbourne from Study Australia along with the other SA kids. (The picture is of the train station- isnt it so cool). I was supposed to get to the station to meet everyone at 1. I got there 12 minutes late and didnt know what these people even looked like to find them. I realized they could be anyone or they could have already started so I tried calling Zoe who said she was going a couple days before. She didnt pick up, so I tried again, and again and again. I then tried Carolin, not really sure why but she was a mutual friend of ours. She didnt pick up. At this point it was 20 minutes past 1. I decided I would call the Davines at home and have them get me Kerians number. Anita and peter were home but neither are computer savy. It took 30 minutes for them to get me the number, not because it was complicated but because neither really know their way around a computer. I called Kerian, he picked up and told me he would meet me at the station wearing a black shirt and scarf.

We found each other and he brought me to where he had left the rest of the girls. Apparently Zoe had never shown up, it would have been kinda useless even if I had rung her. We had a hot mocha in a cafe. Whenever you get a coffee or mocha they always put a design in it- so pretty. They usually put in hearts which reminds me of Nonna and her hears <3. Afterwards we continued the tour. He brought us to some alley way which seemed sketchy. He said that the bar down there was able to come around when they changed the alcohol distribution laws. Because of the new laws pubs and bars began popping up.

It was then time to jump on the tram and head down to St. Kilda where there is the water. Trams are still in use in Melbourne. They have buses too along with trains. I kinda like ridding the trams because they usually go straight up a road since turning is difficult- this is nice because the city is a grid and its easy to navigate straight up a road.

It started pouring as we rode the tram. We had to get off so we dashed into a nearby cafe the Kerian had wanted to take us to. He ordered us Lemon Lime Bitters- delish. We then had to keep on on our adventure- and into the rain we went. We walked down to some shops and walked around. The rain stopped. We walked back to the tram to go back to melbourne central and eat dinner at Lygon St.

Lygon St is the Italian St : ). We stopped in some restaurant ( I think Papa Ginos- I believe we have it in america too) and got garlic bread, raspberry lemonade and gnocchi. mmmmmm. I felt at home. I had leftovers which I took home (and peter later threw away because he didnt know where it came from.... thanks peter). We then went our separate ways- I went to the tram and then the train to get back home.

It was fun but not anything like the tour of sydney Ross gave us. I hoped that the tour would give me a really good sense of the city. I was a tad bit disappointed but hey I got free food.

No comments:

Post a Comment