Thursday, August 5, 2010

Lazy Days

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 and Thursday, July 22, 2010

These two days were practically the same. I didnt really do much. Woke up around 10 or 11 and read a book my Nonna had given me some months ago called "Dead Hunt" by Beverly Connor. Its a forensic science mystery novel which I really did enjoy. Besides reading I attempted to stay warm. The weather here was a bit of a shock to my 90F of summer at home. The weather fluctuates anywhere from 45-60 right now. They say if you dont like the weather, wait ten minutes and it will change. This is true. It goes from 10 minutes of sunnyness to 30 minutes of clouds to 30 minutes of rain/mist (its not hard rain at all). The Davines dont really heat the house to high, because its expensive I guess. Heaps of student housing in the city doesnt even have heat so I guess I should be thankful. As time passes I should probably get used to the cold, I think now Im just all summer weather that anything slightly cold feels pretty cold to me.

Here is the tour of the house Im living in- like i promised.





One other thing. The toilets are a little different. In america we just have one lever to flush the toilet. Here there are two buttons: a half flush (for all liquids), and a full flush (for well you know).

Australia is a big country but they dont have the best water supply because there are lots of people but only in concentrated areas, not spread out. This means that the people have to share water reserves and they run out when there isnt enough rain. They concerve water with these toilets, taking short showers, not watering their lawns, etc.

Their electrical plugs are also different from American plugs.
Besides the shape, which is like our two prong but slanted, they have an on off switch per each plug. Their voltage is much more, aka 220-240, in comparison to our 120. Therefore to not waste power and to keep people safe they have a switch that you turn on only when you need electricity. I think its smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment