Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dont say "Shrimp on the Barbie"

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Bec woke me up from Sarah and Mic's couch at 7am. She had to get back home to get ready for work at 8:30 or 9. We got back "home" and I went back to bed. Woke up around 11am and thought Anita, Bec and I were going to go to the Melbourne Museum. Turns out that didnt happen because Anita had something she was obligated to do. I was a bit bummed because that meant that my plans failed and I had nothing to do. I kinda just hung out around the house for a while. Then about 3pm Bec came home and we got ready to go over to Mic and Sarahs again for a Barbie. We stopped by the grocery to pick up some drinks- coolers for bec and Bacardi rum for me. We got on the road at 5 and got a bit lost. Finally we found their place again (hadnt we just been there the night before?). We sat around for a while as Mic and Sarah prepared dinner and put it on the grill. A guy named Josh showed up as they were preparing dinner and ate with us. They made steak, sausage, chicken wings, salad, mushies, drinks and cheesecake. It was very lovely and my first aussie barbie!

*****Culture Note: The saying, "Shrimp on the Barbie" is completely incorrect. Australians have barbecued for a long time. However, they never put shrimp on the barbecue. This idea was never introduced until globalization. Before that they would steam or cook the shrimp. In addition, you dont say shrimp here. They call them prawns. So even if they were to have "shrimp on the barbie" today they would actually call it prawns on the barbie.*****

We chatted it up (topic: how to murder someone in the perfect murder, it was inspired by the fact that they found out I do forensic science) and watched a movie (Bad boys i believe).

At around 12 we left, got home at 1 and I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment