Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ian Potter Museum and Shots

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Today was another adventure day in the city. I planned on going to the Chinese Museum in Chinatown and then maybe grabbing a coffee and exploring a bit. (L) Springvale Station where I get on the train.

I got off the train in Melbourne Central and decided to get to know what this tall building in the center of it was (R). This is the shot museum (no not alcohol shots, bullets). You can go inside the first level and read about how they made shots back in the day. Here is how its made:
"Led was melted at the top of the tower and into a basin that had a removable perforated plate called a 'pouring card'. The assembly was positioned above a fire-bricked shaft leading to the basse of the tower.Perforations, each about tw-thirds of the diameter of the final shot size, separedted the flow of molten lead into streams, which then broke up to form droplets. The droplets were shaped and solidified during the fall and finally cooled by dropping into a trough of water at the bottom of the tower." Here is a pict of the machinery.

After the Shot Museum I walked around the mall at central station. I was surprised how big it was, really huge. Maybe 6 stories of shops and food places and the train as well. In order to find shops they have a directory (like we do at our malls) except theirs are digital touch screens! Total high tech but I think I like ours at home because I know how to use it... aka read.


I got to Chinatown around 1 and (after some work) found the museum. There was a sign that read that it was closed until the 28th of August due to revamping of the museum. Poo. I went in and asked the Chinese men if there was something else they suggested to go look at. They gave me some ideas and I went my way, agreeing that I would come back when they re-opened.

I walked around Chinatown a bit, going into shops and realizing I was a poor college student when I looked at a pair of shoes for 112$ (originally 280) and put them back. I would like to comment on how shoes here are pretty expensive. Runners for example are like 250 where at home my gym shoes were like 60. I decided to enter the Target shop in chinatown where things were a bit more my price. I told myself I wasnt going to buy something unless it fit and was around 20. I didnt end up buying anything. I need to relax with worrying about spending money. I just dont want to waste it is all.

Some Photographs of Federation Square:



I jumped on a tram and headed down to flinders st station where they have federation square (I was just there yesterday with the street performer). Using my handy dandy guide book (thanks again chrissy) I learned that I could go see the Ian Potter Center where they had all sorts of art work for free. On my way I got distracted by an amazing glass shop that had a movie about how the girl made one of the pieces in the display.

The Ian Potter Center was really cool and had some great aboriginal art along with traditional artwork. There was no way to sneak photos. Looking through this museum maybe took about 3 hours and soon enough it was 4pm. I said I would come home around this time so that I could get work done. On the train timeline it said that I had 10 min before my train came so I decided to look around some ally ways. One of the cool things about Melbourne is that you can wander down an allyway (and no not get raped) but find some great coffee and other shops. Here is one such allyway. Looking at my watch I dashed back to the train, caught it and got home.

From what I can guess at (my memory fails me at this part of the story) I got home, did some hw, tea, and then watched the Offspring with my cousin Kat in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment